Arms deal: Why EFCC cannot invite me – Metuh

By Post Nigeria January 4, 2016 19:14

Arms deal: Why EFCC cannot invite me – Metuh

The National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olisa Metuh, has debunked claims that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, invited him for questioning over his alleged involvement in the $2.1 billion arms scandal.

Metuh, in a statement issued by his Special Assistant, Richard Ihediwa, in Abuja on Monday, January 4, 2016 decried the media trial against his person.

The National Publicity Secretary is alleged to be under investigation for allegedly collecting about N400m from the former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki.

See: SHOCK! Buhari is after my life – Metuh cries

Sources who confided in the Nation Newspaper, had disclosed that the EFCC, hinted that Metuh is being investigated for allegedly collecting N400 million from the Office of the National Security Adviser, ONSA.

“He is likely to be invited for interrogation,” the source had posited.

The money was alleged to be part of the funds meant for the procurement of arms and ammunition for the fight against Boko Haram in North-East.

The purported plan to quiz Metuh to some political pundits might be connected to his consistent statements accusing the current administration of relentlessly witch hunting selected PDP members under the guise of fighting corruption.

Although, Metuh had agreed he collected an undisclosed sum of money from former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Rather than being invited, he said he had been reading about his planned secret arrest on pages of newspapers for a crime he knows nothing about.

See: REVEALED: APC’s plot to assasinate our key members – Metuh

“This office wishes to state categorically that the EFCC has never invited the National Publicity Secretary nor questioned him on any matter whatsoever since its inception.

“If indeed, the report (about his investigation) is from the EFCC, then they should note that only in a period of tyranny are people investigated on the pages of the newspapers as a prelude for abuse and violation of their freedom and rights under the law.

“It is instructive to observe that a mere media campaign of calumny does not in any way whatsoever translate to any evidence of guilt.

“It is rather an evidence of infringement on the rights of the citizenry and manifestation of the reign of tyranny.”

Metuh said that in a democratic and civilized country, where there are issues that require investigations by such agencies, invitations are duly extended to those concerned.

However, he said it was sad to read daily of people being investigated only on newspapers. This he stated was part of the plot to portray them as guilty of fraud and crime, and targeted to convey the PDP as a corrupt party and the All Progressives Congress as a party of Nigerians without sin.

“If we now have a system where citizens get to be investigated, tried and executed by planting stories in select newspapers, wherein then lies the need for our judicial process?

“Finally, we do hope that all concerned will be guided by due process at all times.”

See: Lai Mohammed and Metuh go to war over 500million scandal