Commotion as Military Makes Shocking Announcement on Bloody Coup Plot Against Buhari

By Post Nigeria June 23, 2016 09:46

Commotion as Military Makes Shocking Announcement on Bloody Coup Plot Against Buhari

The Nigerian Army has on Thursday, June 23, denied claims made by militant group, Joint Niger Delta Liberation Force, NDLF, alleging that some officers are plotting to overthrow the present democratic government of President Muhammadu Buhari.

In a statement released on Thursday morning, by Colonel Sani Usman, the Army spokesperson, he described the claims as, “baseless and most unfortunate”.

Colonel Usman, said the allegation exists solely, “in the warped minds of the originators of such weighty allegation”.

Recall, that the militant group which had earlier threatened to attack government buildings, including the prestigious Presidential Villa in Abuja, had also claimed that there is a brewing plan by senior military officers to overthrow Buhari from office.

According to the militant group, the unnamed military officials plan to cause a state of civil unrest in the country, in order to orchestrate the breakdown of law and order in the country.

The group stated that some officials have approached the militants to intensify their bombing operations.

The group claimed that the “coup plotters”, said they wanted to use sustained attacks on oil facilities, as a genuine reason to take over the government.

In swift reaction, the military said: “The Nigerian Army wish to state that this is not true, and hereby distance itself from this weighty allegation. We also see this speculation as a dangerous distraction to our effort in fighting insurgency and other criminal elements in the country.

“The Nigerian Army would like to send a strong and an unequivocal warning to those speculating a coup by the Nigerian Army (NA) against the Government to desist forthwith. We would like state in clear terms that we are a product of democracy and a focused professional institution and would have nothing to do with such abomination and heinous crime.

“We wish to state further that the NA is the greatest beneficiary of democracy and therefore cannot ever contemplate any anti-democratic misadventure, certainly not under the command of the present Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai. Rather, we see this type of dangerous speculation as a declaration of war to destabilise the present government by these unscrupulous elements”.

The Nigerian Army, also said it will investigate those behind the dangerous insinuation, in order to unravel the real motive behind it.

“We would like to reiterate our unalloyed loyalty to the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and defence of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. We would also like to reaffirm our unconditional support and obedience to civil authority.

“We wish to further assure Nigerians and indeed all peace loving people that the Nigerian Army and indeed its personnel will never be involved in such terrible misadventure. We wish to further add that no matter how long it takes, we would track and find out those behind these insinuations and bring them to justice”.