EFCC shocks the world, issues two paragraph statement on Jonathan’s arrest

By Post Nigeria May 28, 2016 09:05

EFCC shocks the world, issues two paragraph statement on Jonathan’s arrest

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has on Friday, May 27, described as baseless a petition written to the Commission and copied to the presidency, calling for the arrest and prosecution of former President, Goodluck Jonathan.

According to a top source in the anti-graft agency, the petitioners anchored their report based on media report hence, “it lacks merit”.

The statement came on the heels of a petition requesting that the EFCC arrests Jonathan and prosecutes him for mis-managing the $2.1 billion arms deal, allegedly shared by the former National Security Adviser, NSA, Sambo Dasuki.

The petition added, that the Jonathan should account for the N400 million public funds given to former National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Olisah Metuh, for personal and private party use.

Dismissing the petition as frivolous, the EFCC, in a two paragraph statement was quoted by the Nation Newspaper as saying: “We have received a copy of the letter from the affected individual, and it will be treated on its merit. Normally, once anyone drops a letter or a petition, we subject it to our due procedure of whether it has any merit or not.

“From what we have, what was sent to us was based on media reports. Those who brought the letter have not disclosed any fact yet. So far, they have to come up with more evidence. We will certainly demand for concrete evidence against the ex-President from the aggrieved who wrote us. And it is strange that a petitioner or an individual will have to give the EFCC a deadline to do its work”.

This is the first petition the EFCC will formally receive demanding the investigation of former President Jonathan.

According to findings, the petition came from a former member of the Enugu State House of Assembly, Ikenna Ejezie, through his counsel, Barrister Osuagwu Ugochukwu. Both President Muhammadu Buhari and the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mallam Abubakar Malami, were copied in the petition.

Recall, that Jonathan had on Monday told the world that he was not on exile and will not run way from any problem.

He said: “I am not on exile. I have no cause to go on exile. I was Vice President for two years and President for six years. I did everything I could and I served my country well”.

A former Minister of National Planning, Professor Suleiman Olanrewaju Abubakar, also quoted Jonathan as saying: “I am not on exile; I can never be on exile; I am going to come back to Nigeria.

“I cannot run away from any problem; I am going to face whatever problem that exists in Nigeria”.