NAF moves up timeline to meet December mark

By Post Nigeria October 27, 2015 18:58

NAF moves up timeline to meet December mark

In a desperate effort to meet up with the December deadline given by President Muhammadu Buhari to the military to purge Nigeria of Boko haram insurgents, the Nigerian Airforce, NAF, has launched heavy attacks within the Sambisa Forest in Borno State.

These missions have destroyed insurgent enclaves, workshops and ammunition stashes.

Army Director of Public Relations and Information, Dele Alonge gave this disclosure as the military intensifies efforts in meeting the deadline given to them.

    “In a renewed drive to further degrade the Boko Haram Terrorist (BHT) Assets, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Alpha Jets have successfully carried out airstrikes and destroyed the Sect’s vehicle workshops, fuel and ammunition dumpsall within the Sambisa forest.

    “This feat by the Nigerian Air Force came as a result of a painstaking Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) efforts by the NAF’s Unmanned Aerial vehicle (UAV) and ATR-42 platforms,” he revealed.

Alonge added that the Chief of Air Staff, Abubakar Sadique had already concluded plans to unleash a final onslaught against the insurgents in order to completely weed them out from Nigerian territory.

    “In view of the above, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar wishes to assure all Nigerians that with these successful strikes on the insurgents, their capabilities have been further degraded to pave the way for the final onslaught by the land forces to meet the Commander-in-Chief, President Mohammadu Buhari’s directives to bring insurgency in the North-East to an end,” he said.

Buhari has already made a U-turn on the December mandate and expressed pessimism in the ability of the Military to completely defeat the insurgents.

In a latest address conveyed by the Secretary to the Government of the Federation Babachir Lawal, during a visit to hospitals and Government Houses of Borno and Adamawa states, Buhari stated that while sporadic bomb attacks may end by December, the spate of suicide bombing may extend into 2016.

    “As I said a few times in the past, desperate actions such as the detonation of IEDs will take a longer time to eradicate even as our optimism continues to grow that Boko Haram as a fighting force will be crushed by the year end.

    “After that, we hope all displaced communities will be returned to their towns and villages. But even when this is about to happen, there will still remain vital tests and challenges.”

In reaction to this, the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai, has said that the December deadline to end activities of insurgents in the North-East region is still realizable as there had been improved measure of operations in the region, insisting that the military has been able to recapture and towns previously occupied by the Boko Haram members.

    “It is not true that Boko Haram is still controlling territories in the North-East, no Boko Haram is holding any territory. Have you heard them (Boko Haram) making any claim of recent?

    “We are more determined and we have more professional soldiers on the ground. We have been trained and equipped and ready to face the challenges posed by them.

    “We will make sure that we meet up with the deadline. We still have November and December.”

See: Borno State governor and Chief of Army Staff clash