Obasanjo to be prosecuted for Odi genocide

By Post Nigeria December 8, 2014 20:21

Obasanjo to be prosecuted for Odi genocide

Access to Justice, a civil service group has urged that the perpetrators of Odi genocide and killings of November 20, 1999 be brought to book despite the resolution by Justice Lambo Akanbi of the Federal High Court in Port Harcourt last week Tuesday.

The civil society sees the attack on the Odi people as a gross violation of human rights of the people and therefore, prayed the Federal Government to compensate the Odi community with the sum of 37.6bn.

It will be recalled that a Spokesman for the former Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Rotimi Fashakin said, following the court’s description of the 1999 attack on Odi by Nigerian soldiers as genocide, Obasanjo should be arrested and tried before the International Criminal Court.

According to Fashakin, “It is equally our belief that, with the establishment of the intent and content of the invasion as genocidal, the course of Justice is best served if the head of the government at the material time, that is, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, is formally arraigned before the International Criminal Court for the crime of genocide”

However, the Executive Director, Access to Justice, Mr. Joseph Otteh, in a statement said that the court judgment was predicated on the need to curb the excesses of the executive and to send a clear message that the days of tyranny were gone forever.

His words: “Since 1999, the genocide against Odi community had been held up by those who perpetrated the abuses as a benchmark of how government should deal decisively with communal restiveness and agitation, and the fact that thousands of innocent people lost their loved ones, were maimed and lost everything they had, including their dignity and sense of self-worth mattered so little.”