Buhari gives up, may halt corruption fight

By Post Nigeria February 5, 2016 12:20

Buhari gives up, may halt corruption fight

President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that he is currently under intense pressure from very influential persons to halt the current war against corruption.

This was contained in a statement made by the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, where he affirmed that the government will not stop the corruption fight despite the regular calls from the Nigerian elite.

“We get regular messages from some Nigerian elites saying ‘cool down’.

“It is a very strange morality, that some of those people have, very complicated but cutting across all tribes and religious differences. The masses don’t have that problem.

“The man on the street is very clear, so whatever some of these elites say, we shall keep our focus on the masses who voted for us,” the Vice President said.

See: Tension as EFCC suffers brutal setback

Osinbajo stated this while meeting with a delegation from the Muslim Congress of Nigeria, MCN, in Abuja, maintaining that previous governments have been unable to complete infrastructural projects due to corruption.

He added that it was the same inordinate desire for enrichment that explains why money meant to procure arms was being distributed among persons at a time when the territorial integrity of the nation was being attacked.

“The insurgency has gone on for six years because government could not adequately equip the military,” he said

However, the Vice President assured that Buhari will not relent, adding that we have no other agenda but ”the progress of this country”.

“Mr. President and I are extremely focused on what we need to do. We will focus on critical things, infrastructure and social investments.” He added

The leader of the delegation from MCN, Imam Abdulahi Shuaib commended the government for its efforts so far and expressed readiness to assist where necessary.

“We are thankful that our candidates of choice in the election emerged,” he said, adding that the choice of the President and the Vice President was made by God during last year’s presidential election.

Meanwhile, several officials of the previous administration are either being probed for alleged corrupt acts or being tried after being arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

Former National Security Adviser, NSA Col. Sambo Dasuki is at the centre of the $2.1billion arms fund that was diverted, and is currently standing trial for money laundering and criminal breach of the law.

Dasuki is also accused by the government of plotting to scuttle his trial before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Maitama, Abuja.

See: Dasuki’s fresh plot uncovered